Skip to main content
Add Me To Your Mailing List

News / Articles

Dynamator Installation Revisited - 10/29

Michael Scroggie  | Published on Saturday, October 29, 2016

 
Slideshow
Dynamator Installation Revisited - 10/29
 

 

This is a continuation of the article in last month’s newsletter. We rescheduled the completion of the Dynamator installation for one week later, on Saturday, October 29th. The prior Tech Session was interrupted because we essentially hit a wall…the new Dynamator did not fit on the laterBJ8 mounting bracket, and the shaft size was larger, which prevented us from reusing the fan and pulley from the old alternator.

 

During the intervening week, I contacted the vendor of the Dynamator (in Alberta, Canada) and presented the installation problems we had. He spoke with the Dynamator supplier (in England) and they determined they didn’t have (and may never have) a solution for late model BJ8’s. I then hustled around looking for the parts we would need to make it work. Thankfully, I called Russ Thompson and he came to the rescue. He had the three primary used parts I needed; the earlier alternator bracket with the narrower mounting width and the fan and pulley for the Dynamator’s smaller shaft size.

 

A group of us met for breakfast on Saturday morning and planned our day. Joining Kathy and me were Peter Roses, Tony Trentacost, Dick Ames and Tom Spangler. Following breakfast, we proceeded to Steve Kirby’s garage nearby to continue our work.

 

Step 1 was removing the old bracket from the engine block and replacing it with the bracket Russ provided…see the adjoining photos [Photos 1 & 2]. We were careful to use copper washers on the bolts attaching the bracket to the block and a new gasket with sealer applied (to reduce oil leaks).

 

Step 2 was to file down the berms on the inside of the Dynamator’s mounting  flanges so that they fit the engine mounting bracket [Photo 3].

 

Step 3 was to mount the ignition coil to the Dynamator using the old bracket/strap. Since the Dynamator is larger in circumference, we had to find a longer bolt and we used a grinder to enlarge the arc on the bracket mount so the strap would wrap around the Dynamator case [Photos 4 & 5].

 

Step 4 was to attach the fan and pulley to the Dynamator shaft using the tool Peter made to keep the spindle from turning when tightening the bolt [Photo 6].

 

Step 5 was to bolt the Dynamator to the bracket, installing the fan belt and securing the adjustment bolt so the belt is not too tight but not too loose… about ¾” play up and down. Of course, the old fan belt no longer fit and we had to run to the auto parts store to get a longer belt. Once everything was assembled, we reconnected the wiring to the voltage regulator.  The installation was now complete [Photo 7].

 

 Now, the acid test…checking all the connections and starting the car. Wouldn’t you know it, the engine wouldn’t start! We quickly determined there was no spark to the plugs. We started working backwards, checking all the wiring connections and checking voltages. Peter determined it must be inside the distributor, although we never touched it. After removing the cap and fiddling around a bit, he determined that a small connector was loose and wiggled it a bit. After replacing the distributor cap, the engine Aired right up. Lucas working overtime again! Everything was looking good and the Dynamator appeared to be charging the battery properly, but the “idiot light” on the Tachometer was no longer working. It turned out be Lucas again…I later determined it was a burned out bulb!

 

Although this project was a lot more complicated than expected, with perseverance we prevailed… and learned something in the process. I would like to thank everyone who assisted, especially Peter who did a lot of the planning and engineering and Steve Kirby who provided the facilities and tools and a great pizza lunch. Thanks also to Russ Thompson for providing the necessary parts.

 

In addition to the cost of the Dynamator, the additional costs for a late stage BJ8 (1965-1967), expect the following approximate costs, not including shipping:

• Mounting bracket - $100 (used)

• Pulley fan - $50 (used)

• Pulley - $20

• Fan belt $18